You may restrict the usage of a PDF file by either certifying a document or by setting a password.
A password restricts access and usage to a PDF document to anyone that has the password; anyone with the password may use the PDF.
Whereas certifying a PDF means only specific people (with the correct digital ID) are allowed to access and use the PDF.
A digital ID contains information about you such as your name, employer, contact information, etc. and acts much like a real ID would to verify your identity, such as a driver's license.
How to certify your PDF document:
You must have a digital ID to certify a PDF. If you (or your employer) have already created one, you may add it.
If you do not have a digital ID, you can create one in PDF Pro while certifying your PDF document.
- In PDF Pro, under the “Secure” tab, click "Certify Document".
- Select "Create new digital certificate", then press "Next".
- Enter your information and specify the expiration date of this certificate. Once ready, press "Next".
- Select where you'd like to store your new digital ID, then click "Next" or "Finish" (depending on your selection).
Selecting "Windows Certificate Store" stores the digital ID in a common location in the computer, where other Windows applications may retrieve it. Selecting "New PKCS#12 digital ID file" simply stores your new digital ID in your hard drive.
Note: If storing your digital ID in the Windows Certificate Store, this is your final step.
- Select the location you'd like to save your PKCS #12 file, and set a password for your digital ID. Once done, press "Finish".
- In the new dialogue box: set a password for your PDF document, specify a location and reason for signing, then press "Sign"
Note: This dialogue box will be what you see the next time you press the "Certify Document" button in the "Secure" tab of PDF Pro.
How to secure your PDF document with a password:
- Under the “Secure” tab, click "Password".
- Choose an encryption level, and an "Open" password.
- Set the permissions/restrictions associated with opening and interacting with the PDF file.
- Click "Finish".